Monday, April 12, 2010

Letter 01 - 3/16/10






So I hope you guys enjoy this email because I got the run around trying to set this thing up correctly. Seriously, this place rivals the California DMV.

The MTC is great!

I mean everything besides the “system” of the MTC. The spirit is so strong here and I feel like I’m really learning a lot. We move so quickly here that I can’t keep track of time. It’s almost like time has no relevance here. The days go by quickly and it seems like things we did yesterday were done in the morning. And two days is in fact a week. It’s weird, but not worrying about time is making things easy. To be completely honest, I still don’t have a grip on what goes on here. Everyone thinks that someone has explained something. So my district just does things and hopes it’s right.

So I’m sure everyone’s wondering about the food. It’s not too bad, occasionally you’ll see something that looks like it got hold of nuclear radiation, but most of it is edible. One of the elders in my district had to go get a sonogram because the food caused something in his stomach. Turns out there were twenty other cases of it that day. Not very comforting, but I’m not too worried. I make sure I eat at least two bowls of raisin bran cereal. I’m not a fan of the taste, but the fiber is essential if you want to survive. I just want something spicy!! I swear I can’t get anything to tingle my tongue. I tried this mango habanero sauce just to see if I could get some spice and it just tasted like juice. Redonkulous. So if anyone wants to send me jalapenos, it’d be greatly appreciated.

I LOVE gym time. It’s so nice to get out of our room and go run, play ball, or lift. It’s aaaaawesome. Especially since we spend like, 10 hours a day in a little box they call a room. Which we’ve actually grown to love….. ish

The only real trouble I’m having is not saying “dude” and “heka”. I’ve kinda given up, because I heka don’t care anymore. I’ll just be sure not to call the general authorities dude.

By the way. Did anyone else know that there were so many sister missionaries that were cute? Because we’re trying to stay in the missionary mind set, me and my companion have decided that they don’t exist and they’re just a figment of our imagination. It helps because when they say “hi” I don’t have to say anything back, because they’re not there. Haha , just kidding.

My companion, Elder Morgan, is awesome. He’s really sarcastic, but doesn’t just joke around all the time; which is nice when I decide to work. Which, believe it or not, happens a lot. Something awesome happened with my companion I think the second night. He notice this growth on the back of his throat right before bed. We all got worried and went up to get the on call doctor, but he didn’t want to wake him up over it. But after he was done praying after we got back he asked me to give a blessing. So I gave him the blessing and the next day I was wondering if it helped or if he felt better. He told me that he was worried and after the blessing he felt at ease and slept through the night, which he apparently never does. It was a great experience.

The rest of my district is fun too. We have a hard time letting go of music, so everyone still talks about it. And we’ll all sing songs in the dorm or shower and the whole floor will be singing it for the next couple hours. Today we were singing “Tiny Dancer” by Elton John and as people were walking by our door we heard them humming or whistling it.

The spirit here is absolutely amazing. I’ve felt it so profoundly almost every day either during lessons, talks or songs. What was the coolest was totally a gift of tongues moment. We had to get to know someone in only Spanish. Me and my companion were pretty nervous. But when it was our turn we just starting talking and everything just came out. It literally flowed. I didn’t even have to think about what I was saying and most of the time I really wasn’t. I only had to ask what one word was. It was SO cool. Both me and my companion just sat there and communicated with a native and a really advanced student like it was nothing.

So the new teaching program they have is to teach us how to get to know people and find out where they are on their spiritual journey. It’s been so awesome because I’ve really been able to see how God sees each and EVERY person and equal sons and daughters. Everyone should go and watch “6 billion others” on youtube. It’s incredible. It’s made me feel so much love for people and I’m so excited to be able to teach the people of Ecuador!

I just want to go already!

One of my teachers is from Guayaquil! That was so cool to find out because I got some insider tips of the people. Also, I just found out that there is a temple there and it’s gorgeous. Sweet.

While on the topic of temples I went to the Provo temple today. Not the prettiest, but it was exactly what I needed. I felt so good when I got out and to walk out the doors of the temple and see the incredible majesty of the mountains (and let’s not forget Lavelle Edwards Stadium). Everyone should strive to go there. It makes life so much better.

Oh! I found out that there was ANOTHER earthquake. Come on people. It’s the last days. It’s legit now. So repent haha. But I hope the second coming happens on my mission. That would rock my socks to be a missionary when the Lord comes again.

Last thing. One of my teachers, Brother Frampton, (no his first name isn’t Peter…. I asked)said that we can learn simple doctrinal truths by paying close attention to hymns and prayers. Before the fireside on Sunday we sang “Praise to the Man” which is already a powerful song so just imagine it at the MTC. And when we ended the last verse I felt the Spirit so strongly testify of Joseph.

I want everyone to know that I know Joseph Smith was called of God to bring about a work that would allow the Children of God to return to Him. And that what I am doing will only bring happiness in this life and salvation in the life to come.

I found a scripture that talks about faith and when it is exercised only greater things will come.
3 Nephi 26: 9

And when they shall have received this, which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the greater things be made manifest unto them

I love you all. Bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment